Yelp is hosting many exciting talks this month! Let’s take a closer look at two, but be sure to check out all of the links below to see what’s in the pipeline.
What does it take to monitor an architecture that is continually in flux and being changed by hundreds of developers? A seriously flexible monitoring framework: Sensu! A resident Yelp Site Reliability Engineer, Kyle Anderson, will be giving a tour of how Sensu works at Yelp. He’ll be explaining how Sensu hooks into the Yelp SOA architecture to empower individual development teams to monitor their own services in real time. He’ll also be discussing the difficulty of monitoring servers in AWS, and how Sensu can be used to track them.
Yelp hosts this talk, put on by San Francisco Dev Ops, tomorrow April 8th!
Next up is a talk about RxJava. Functional reactive programming is an interesting, relatively new paradigm that models application state as a set of dependencies updated via a stream of data. As a concrete example, one option of building a UI that depends on mouse clicks is to write a callback function. When the mouse is clicked, the function is called to do some processing and optionally update the UI. However, callbacks can quickly get complicated, especially when they involve multiple threads that may interact with each other.
The reactive alternative treats all mouse clicks as a iterable stream of events (Observable, in Rx jargon). An Observer can apply functional constructs -- such as filter, map, or zip -- to the stream of clicks and can in turn update other Observable objects. For examples involving real code, check out the blog post by Netflix.
Sound cool? Then come check out Greg Benson, a software engineer on the Android @ Netflix team, as he presents on incorporating reactive programming into your Android apps with RxJava. Sign up for this April 10th presentation at San Francisco Android Livecode!
- Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - 6:00PM - Sensu @ Yelp: A Guided Tour (San Francisco Dev Ops)
- Wednesday, April 9, 2014 - 6:00PM - Java 8 Lambda Expressions & Streams (Java User Group)
- Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 7:00PM - Reactive Programming on Android Using RxJava with Greg Benson! (San Francisco Android Livecode)
- Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 6:30PM - Working Hard, or Artily Twerking Kongsciousness (Designers + Geeks)
- Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 6:30PM - Women Who Code: Lightning Talks (Women Who Code)
- Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 6:45PM - Best Practices For Lean User Acquisition and Engagement (Products That Count)
- Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Large-Scale Machine Learning with Apache Spark (SF Machine Learning)
- Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:15PM- Django 1.7 and You (Django Meetup Group)